Long-term readers who have been following the tests on this site must have seen that I have been following and testing StrongVPN for more than a year, but since October, StrongVPN International APP has been completely blocked by the Chinese network firewall, during which I also tested it twice respectively on October 30, 2020 and December 23, 2020. After I gave feedback on the specifics of my test in China through StrongVPN’s official homepage Feedback, they replied to me in an hour and gave me a wall connection plan for Windows, Mac, IOS and Android respectively. I will arrange the test for each device one after another, I can’t test the Android phone because I don’t have an Android machine in my hand, so I’m sorry, but I will release the specific plan to you. I hope to do a reference for everyone.
The daily speed test will help you understand three things:
1. the success rate of the VPN’s server connection in the device under test.
2. the server connection time of the VPN in the tested device.
3. the speed of the VPN after a successful connection to the server in the device under test.
Follow the Twitter account to be the first to get the latest VPN test notifications: 10Beasts_Barry
StrongVPN Last 6 Test reports: [See More]
Checking out multiple test reports can help you understand more effectively how this VPN works in the long run.
- StrongVPN Windows10 China’s App Test in China - April 19, 2021, I've been a bit busy with my own work in the last few days, plus it's been 5 days since I've tested each VPN over the weekend. In these 5 days I have been using ExpressVPN mainly in my Macbook, iPhone and its all working fine and the speed is very good. Today I'm going to do a test of StrongVPN, if you want to see the test report of other VPNs, please don't worry, I will continue to test and publish the connection usage report of each VPN in mainland China in turn. On another note, I changed the name of the blog 10Beasts.net from the original "10BEASTS" to "Barry's Review". Although the name of the site was changed, the domain name did not change. I don't mean anything else, I just thought it might be easier to remember.
- StrongVPN Macbook China’s APP Test in China - March 27, 2021, in early March during the network blockade StrongVPN smoothly through that period, this time will be in the Macbook to check some servers for VPN connection and speed test in mainland China. The servers connected to the test are randomly selected, and I will publish a list of randomly selected servers whether they are successfully connected or not, as well as speed tests through SpeedTest, YouTube Connection Speed, and Netflix Fast, so that readers can have a more comprehensive understanding of their real speed.
- StrongVPN After the blockade, the new plan is tested in China - On March 9, 2021, shortly after the start of the two sessions StrongVPN's connection tests for Windows, Macbook, and Android's Chinese version of the app were blocked, and IOS has been available since it has been using manually configured IKEv2. Is StrongVPN really unusable after the blocking? Today I contacted the official customer service and got the solution, but the specific effect is not very clear, all this test I hope to test it once, this test will include Macbook and Windows, if these two devices are feasible, I believe that there must be no problem in Android.
- March 5, StrongVPN China’s App Win10 Test - March 5, 2021, today is the first day of the official start of the Chinese sessions. I tested the Chinese Windows version of NordVPN in the morning and found that the firewall has started to increase significantly. Now I want to test the Win10 China version of StrongVPN to see if there is any impact on this VPN. The main thing to note is that StrongVPN has launched dedicated versions for Windows and MacOS for China, while IOS and Android currently require connection via manual configuration, and I will often contact official customer service to ask if a new mainland version is available.
- StrongVPN Win/Mac Test in China-20210130 - Today we will test StrongVPN's China-specific app on Windows and Macbook. StrongVPN has launched three China-specific versions: Windows, MacOS, and Android, while the IOS China-specific version is still under development and requires manual IKEv2 configuration through the VPN that comes with IOS. The IOS China version is still under development. The tutorials for each device can be read by clicking "StrongVPN Unable to Connect Solution (zh)". If you need to download StrongVPN China-specific version, you can download it through "China VPN Download (zh)", which includes both local and official download methods.
- StrongVPN China’s APP Mac Test-20201226 - In the last issue, I tested the Windows version of StrongVPN, "StrongVPN China’s APP Win10 Test-Succeed", and today I will continue to test StrongVPN, but today's wall test platform will be changed to MacBook. StrongVPN has developed a version for mainland China users that can break through the Great Wall of the Internet, and you can find the download address and tutorial for the Mac version in the article "StrongVPN Can't Connect Solution(zh)". I hope that this wall test can read the reader some reference and reference...
StrongVPN China’s APP Windows Test:
According to the official advice, it is best to uninstall the original international version of StrongVPN before installing the China-specific version of the app, and then install it. I think this is to avoid conflicts between the two programs, I didn’t uninstall the international version when I tested the installation, and installed the China-specific version directly on it, which also works. But I still suggest it’s best to follow the official advice.
The current Windows version of StrongVPN China-specific APP is: 1.6.5, in order to facilitate the wall and non-wall users to download, I made two links an official direct download portal, the other is I will download the version uploaded to the server of this site.
Below is a screenshot of StrongVPN China in Windows10, in its unconnected state. There are two in the picture below that I have covered in red, the top one is the account email and the bottom one is the IP address, so I have covered them to avoid leaking private data.
Starting Time: Dec 24, 2020, 10:30 AM;
Local Device and Network: Windows10/200M China Telecom/WiFi;
StrongVPN’s China Win Version: 1.6.5;
Protocol: OpenVPN UDP;
- USA – Denver: First success; (Time efficiency: 10s)
Speedtest Ping: 210ms; Download: 5.23Mbps; Upload: 3.61Mbps;
YouTube Connection Speed: 18719Kbps;
- USA – Dallas: First success; (Time efficiency: 12s)
Speedtest Ping: 260ms; Download: 0.21Mbps; Upload: 1.02Mbps;
YouTube Connection Speed: 1312Kbps;
- USA – Houston: First success; (Time efficiency: 65s)
Speedtest Ping: 271ms; Download: 1.35Mbps; Upload: 2.08Mbps;
YouTube Connection Speed: 16138Kbps;
- USA – Charlotte: First success; (Time efficiency: 31s)
Speedtest Ping: 197ms; Download: 1.49Mbps; Upload: 2.01Mbps;
YouTube Connection Speed: 21549Kbps;
- USA – New Orleans: First success; (Time efficiency: 20s)
Speedtest Ping: 188ms; Download: 2.33Mbps; Upload: 6.46Mbps;
YouTube Connection Speed: 16865Kbps;
Note: There is a problem worth noting here, that is, when you connect to the software, the IP address and region display in the software until “Your IP” will appear in two situations. One is that the software cache problem may still display your local IP address; the other may show the wrong IP and region. For this server, I am connected to “USA – New Orleans”, but the software shows China at the beginning, then jumps to USA, and then to Japan. However, during this process, I searched the “Based on your IP address” field at the bottom of the Google web page, and after the connection was completed, the location was always in the US, no matter which region was displayed in the software. So I think users need not worry too much about the IP leakage problem, this should just be a manifestation of the IP display function of this Chinese version of APP to be improved. I won’t repeat the explanation if similar situation occurs again in the following test.
- USA – Seattle: First success; (Time efficiency: 16s)
Speedtest Ping: 177ms; Download: 6.27Mbps; Upload: 3.14Mbps;
YouTube Connection Speed: 48725Kbps;
- USA – Los Angeles: First success; (Time efficiency: 14s)
Speedtest Ping: 155ms; Download: 0.7Mbps; Upload: 2.25Mbps;
YouTube Connection Speed: 34538Kbps;
- USA – Phoenix: First success; (Time efficiency: 28s)
Speedtest Ping: 161ms; Download: 8.03Mbps; Upload: 3.58Mbps;
YouTube Connection Speed: 9631Kbps;
Above I tested 8 US servers, which I chose randomly. I didn’t know if I could connect before testing. I’m mainly guiding to tell you how StrongVPN China App is currently flipping the wall in mainland China. Also as shown below, it actually has a lot of servers to try, but one note, choose the OpenVPN UDP protocol when connecting.
Not every one of the above servers supports this protocol. I tested the “Taiwan” server yesterday and it does not support this protocol, it only supports SSTP, L2TP, SSTP. I’m not sure how many servers in the StrongVPN China app support OpenVPN, because I haven’t gone through the detailed statistics.
Summary: The above StrongVPN China Windows version APP China mainland wall test, connection success rate, connection feedback time, the overall performance of the wall connection after the speed is very good. The Chinese mainland users are blessed. The next time I will arrange the test for Mac and IOS as soon as possible.
I will post a separate article about the connection solutions for Windows, Mac, IOS and Android in mainland China: StrongVPN Unable to Connect Solution(zh).
Today’s Test Score: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆