Long-term readers who have been following the tests on this site must have seen that I have been following and testing StrongVPN for more than a year, but since October, StrongVPN International APP has been completely blocked by the Chinese network firewall, during which I also tested it twice respectively on October 30, 2020 and December 23, 2020. After I gave feedback on the specifics of my test in China through StrongVPN’s official homepage Feedback, they replied to me in an hour and gave me a wall connection plan for Windows, Mac, IOS and Android respectively. I will arrange the test for each device one after another, I can’t test the Android phone because I don’t have an Android machine in my hand, so I’m sorry, but I will release the specific plan to you. I hope to do a reference for everyone.
The daily speed test will help you understand three things:
1. the success rate of the VPN’s server connection in the device under test.
2. the server connection time of the VPN in the tested device.
3. the speed of the VPN after a successful connection to the server in the device under test.
Follow the Twitter account to be the first to get the latest VPN test notifications: 10Beasts_Barry
StrongVPN Last 6 Test reports: [See More]
Checking out multiple test reports can help you understand more effectively how this VPN works in the long run.
- Win10 StrongVPN and Client Version test in China - January 25, 2022 VPN China test. StrongVPN is one of the very resilient VPNs on my test VPN list. Their StrongVPN Client App versions are preferred as the primary connection tool in Macbook, Windows, and Android. Since my testing, I have not been unable to connect. Due to the audit rules of IOS App, unfortunately, there is no "Client" version for the time being, so you need to connect through manual configuration. However, the international version of the app is currently available for direct connection. You can read all the test reports about StrongVPN on this site, there are 66 of them so far.
- Best VPN for the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, China - The IOC told the Voice of America via email that, China has granted foreign athletes and accredited foreign media participating in the Beijing Winter Olympics access to "open internet services" at the athletes' village, competition-related venues, and contracted media hotels. You can connect and use networks and social platforms (Google, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Signal, etc.) in China that are blocked by the Great Firewall of the Internet.
- StrongVPN iOS/iPhone App test in China - December 8, 2021 China VPN connection test, StrongVPN for mainland China to break through the Great Firewall, in Windows, MacOS, Android currently has two options for connection. The first is the official recommendation to use its mainland China-specific version of StrongVPN Client, a method that is stable for a long time. According to recent tests, the international version of StrongVPN can also be connected in the above three devices, please see the recent "StrongVPN Daily Speed Test" test report for details. The official Client version is not available in IOS, it needs to be manually configured to connect, the specific method can refer to the "StrongVPN can not connect solution (zh)", there are detailed tutorials in the text. This time, I hope to test the connection through the international version of StrongVPN App in IOS. If you have questions, you can leave a message (anonymous) to exchange.
- StrongVPN and Client Version Macbook test in China - December 3, 2021 China VPN test, today will be a VPN test in Macbook for StrongVPN's China version (StrongVPN Client) and International version (StrongVPN). Yesterday, we tested both versions in Windows, and the results were good. Now it would be great if you can successfully connect to flip through the international version (StrongVPN) in MacOS as well. Before testing, we checked the version of both apps in MacOS and confirmed that they are the latest version. If you have any questions, you can leave a comment (anonymous) to exchange.
- StrongVPN Client and internetional Win test in China - December 2, 2021 China VPN test will be conducted today in Windows 10 for StrongVPN's China-specific version (StrongVPN Client) and international version (StrongVPN). Previously, for a longer period of time, StrongVPN (Win/Mac/Android) users in China were connected through its dedicated version (StrongVPN Client), but IOS needed to be connected through manual configuration. If StrongVPN is able to restore the international version, then IOS will also get the App direct connection restored. This is positive for StrongVPN on either device. I'll follow up with test reports on StrongVPN International for other devices, because Windows has the largest number of users, so it's the first place to start. If you have any questions, you can leave a message (anonymous) to communicate.
- StrongVPN Win10 Test in China – Surprises - China VPN test on October 18, 2021. Previously tested the Client version of StrongVPN for mainland China in Windows 10 on September 18, and had 4 successful server connections that time (courtesy of the official techs). In the past month no 2-3 days I try to connect using this version of USA-San Francisco-309 server and the stability is very good. I'll be testing these four servers again, and I contacted StrongVPN's customer service for nearly 10 additional servers before testing, and I want to try out their connections in China. This will provide a more comprehensive understanding of the stability of StrongVPN client and also expand the server options. If in doubt, leave a message (anonymous) to communicate...
StrongVPN China’s APP Windows Test:
According to the official advice, it is best to uninstall the original international version of StrongVPN before installing the China-specific version of the app, and then install it. I think this is to avoid conflicts between the two programs, I didn’t uninstall the international version when I tested the installation, and installed the China-specific version directly on it, which also works. But I still suggest it’s best to follow the official advice.
The current Windows version of StrongVPN China-specific APP is: 1.6.5, in order to facilitate the wall and non-wall users to download, I made two links an official direct download portal, the other is I will download the version uploaded to the server of this site.
Below is a screenshot of StrongVPN China in Windows10, in its unconnected state. There are two in the picture below that I have covered in red, the top one is the account email and the bottom one is the IP address, so I have covered them to avoid leaking private data.
Starting Time: Dec 24, 2020, 10:30 AM;
Local Device and Network: Windows10/200M China Telecom/WiFi;
StrongVPN’s China Win Version: 1.6.5;
Protocol: OpenVPN UDP;
- USA – Denver: First success; (Time efficiency: 10s)
Speedtest Ping: 210ms; Download: 5.23Mbps; Upload: 3.61Mbps;
YouTube Connection Speed: 18719Kbps;
- USA – Dallas: First success; (Time efficiency: 12s)
Speedtest Ping: 260ms; Download: 0.21Mbps; Upload: 1.02Mbps;
YouTube Connection Speed: 1312Kbps;
- USA – Houston: First success; (Time efficiency: 65s)
Speedtest Ping: 271ms; Download: 1.35Mbps; Upload: 2.08Mbps;
YouTube Connection Speed: 16138Kbps;
- USA – Charlotte: First success; (Time efficiency: 31s)
Speedtest Ping: 197ms; Download: 1.49Mbps; Upload: 2.01Mbps;
YouTube Connection Speed: 21549Kbps;
- USA – New Orleans: First success; (Time efficiency: 20s)
Speedtest Ping: 188ms; Download: 2.33Mbps; Upload: 6.46Mbps;
YouTube Connection Speed: 16865Kbps;
Note: There is a problem worth noting here, that is, when you connect to the software, the IP address and region display in the software until “Your IP” will appear in two situations. One is that the software cache problem may still display your local IP address; the other may show the wrong IP and region. For this server, I am connected to “USA – New Orleans”, but the software shows China at the beginning, then jumps to USA, and then to Japan. However, during this process, I searched the “Based on your IP address” field at the bottom of the Google web page, and after the connection was completed, the location was always in the US, no matter which region was displayed in the software. So I think users need not worry too much about the IP leakage problem, this should just be a manifestation of the IP display function of this Chinese version of APP to be improved. I won’t repeat the explanation if similar situation occurs again in the following test.
- USA – Seattle: First success; (Time efficiency: 16s)
Speedtest Ping: 177ms; Download: 6.27Mbps; Upload: 3.14Mbps;
YouTube Connection Speed: 48725Kbps;
- USA – Los Angeles: First success; (Time efficiency: 14s)
Speedtest Ping: 155ms; Download: 0.7Mbps; Upload: 2.25Mbps;
YouTube Connection Speed: 34538Kbps;
- USA – Phoenix: First success; (Time efficiency: 28s)
Speedtest Ping: 161ms; Download: 8.03Mbps; Upload: 3.58Mbps;
YouTube Connection Speed: 9631Kbps;
Above I tested 8 US servers, which I chose randomly. I didn’t know if I could connect before testing. I’m mainly guiding to tell you how StrongVPN China App is currently flipping the wall in mainland China. Also as shown below, it actually has a lot of servers to try, but one note, choose the OpenVPN UDP protocol when connecting.
Not every one of the above servers supports this protocol. I tested the “Taiwan” server yesterday and it does not support this protocol, it only supports SSTP, L2TP, SSTP. I’m not sure how many servers in the StrongVPN China app support OpenVPN, because I haven’t gone through the detailed statistics.
Summary: The above StrongVPN China Windows version APP China mainland wall test, connection success rate, connection feedback time, the overall performance of the wall connection after the speed is very good. The Chinese mainland users are blessed. The next time I will arrange the test for Mac and IOS as soon as possible.
I will post a separate article about the connection solutions for Windows, Mac, IOS and Android in mainland China: StrongVPN Unable to Connect Solution(zh).
Today’s Test Score: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆