Today’s roundup will once again test NordVPN’s OpenVPN GUI configuration for wall-climbing in Windows 10. I’ve seen NordVPN users in many places saying that this VPN is currently unable to flip walls in China, but this is not true. As the Great Firewall of China is constantly upgrading, at the end of August to the beginning of September, the firewall has been upgraded for around, although its strength is not as strong, it also blocked some of the server IPs.I hope that this practice test will tell you which VPNs are safe, which VPNs are available in China, and what kind of techniques you need to use to achieve the wall flip. I hope this helps!
Note: There will be a major firewall upgrade blocking event in late September – early October!
Barry’s nag: I’ve been hoping to convey a message to my readers that the firewall will be around for the foreseeable future; with it, using any VPN or other tool in China is a dynamic process and there’s no one-and-done solution. That’s why I keep updating the [Daily Test] section. The purpose of the test is to tell you the real usage of the changed VPN at the moment, whether it is available or not, and I will tell you so. In order to speed up the testing, I will be running only SpeedTest tests on it as it is only a reference for the speed test.
NordVPN Last 6 test reports: [See More]
Checking out multiple test reports can help you understand more effectively how this VPN works in the long run.
- NordVPN Win10 China’s App Usage Tips - As some NordVPN users may have already noticed, NordVPN appears to be unable to connect in Windows 10. This did happen when I went to test it, but try it really? The China-specific version also failed after OpenVPN Gui. If that's really the case then you can't connect using NordVPN in Windows in China.
- NordVPN Win10 China’s App and Manual test - esterday and today, reader @JasperXu @Addy left a message saying that NordVPN is having problems connecting in China again, the international version is definitely not connecting, but the China-specific version and OpenVPN GUi cannot connect even with manual configuration. After receiving the message I took the time to test it this afternoon. Since the China-specific version of NordVPN is currently only available for Windows and Android, and I don't have an Android machine in my hands, I couldn't do a real test. In addition, regarding the manual configuration of OpenVPN GUi, whether it can connect successfully or not mainly depends on whether its servers are blocked. Before testing, I checked the latest list of servers released on the official website, and there are 12 official servers announced, and there are big differences from the previous announcement, so updating the server configuration should be the right choice.
- NordVPN Released China-specific App Testing - Yesterday a reader of this site @Lin, found and left a comment informing NordVPN of the release of a Windows version specifically for China VPN connections. Barry then confirmed the situation: only Windows and Android versions have been released so far, Macbook and IOS have not yet been released. Today's test is a server connection and post-connection speed test for the Windows China-specific version of the APP, along with an installation tutorial. If you need to download it, you can check this article "NordVPN can't connect solution zh", I have put together the download address here.
- NordVPN Windows test in China-20210113 - Although this method may require some new operations to understand when first configured, once mastered it is actually smoother and more stable than the APP direct connection. Today I will test the Windows 10 + OpenVPN Gui manual configuration connection combination, the purpose of this test is to help you understand whether the service area profile provided by NordVPN is still valid. At the end of the article I will publish the manual configuration method of NordVPN for Mac, Windows, IOS and Android for your reference...
- NordVPN Win10 Manual Test in China-20201215 - Today I will test NordVPN in Windows 10 for wall climbing in mainland China. NordVPN has not recovered its APP direct connection since it was last restored and then strongly blocked again after 24 hours, and so far its APP direct connection wall climbing has not been restored either. But as an old VPN, it is always possible to help Chinese users to go through the wall by its manual configuration. The purpose of this test is to verify its availability and the real situation of the manual wall server currently provided by NordVPN to make wall connections in China. I hope this test will bring some reference significance to the readers...
- NordVPN Win10 OpenVPNGUI in China-20201109 - Today I'm going to test NordVPN's manual configuration of OpenVPN Gui again on Windows 10 devices. First of all, I checked the official OpenVPN Gui server configuration file for Win10, which is unchanged from the previous test (the server names are the same), so I will test it directly on the last configured file. There are 12 servers in total, 2 in Canada, 3 in Japan, 3 in Singapore, and 4 in the US. Also, since I have multiple VPNs installed in my Win10, I've rebooted that device before testing and made sure to enable other VPNs after the reboot.Hopefully this test will be a reference for you in your daily use!
Local Device and Network: Windows10/200M/WiFi;
Speedtest Ping: 15ms; Download: 231.99Mbps; Upload: 21.25Mbps;
Win10 NordVPN Manual Connection Test in China:
Starting Time: Sep 5, 2020, 2:06 PM
The following test will use OpenVPN, a third-party open-source software, to manually configure NordVPN to connect to the wall. If you need it, you can click here: Here is the official download address (local download). It provides a total of 12 servers with UDP protocol for you to use for wall-climbing, and I will follow the official default server naming for testing. If you do not know how to configure, please refer to the tutorial: NORDVPN WINDOWS manual configuration tutorial.
ca3146: First success; (Time efficiency: <10s)
Speedtest Ping: 217ms. Download: 5.79Mbps. Upload: 0.56Mbps.
ca3147: First success; (Time efficiency: <10s)
Speedtest Ping: 227ms. Download: 3.86Mbps. Upload: 1.06Mbps.
jp2114: First success; (Time efficiency: <10s)
Speedtest Ping: 55ms. Download: 6.43Mbps. Upload: 3.99Mbps.
jp2117: Failed; (Try once)
jp2118: Failed; (Try once)
jp2119: First success; (Time efficiency: <10s)
Speedtest Ping: 43ms. Download: 3.49Mbps. Upload: 1.08Mbps.
sg2095: First success; (Time efficiency: <10s)
Speedtest Ping: 246ms. Download: 1.69Mbps. Upload: 0.16Mbps.
sg2099: First success; (Time efficiency: <10s)
Speedtest Ping: 255ms. Download: 1.63Mbps. Upload: 0.19Mbps.
sg2100: First success; (Time efficiency: <10s)
Speedtest Ping: 248ms. Download: 2.39Mbps. Upload: 0.11Mbps.
us7092: First success; (Time efficiency: <10s)
Speedtest Ping: 183ms. Download: 4.24Mbps. Upload: 1.01Mbps.
us7109: First success; (Time efficiency: <10s)
Speedtest Ping: 213ms. Download: 2.01Mbps. Upload: 0.79Mbps.
us7112: First success; (Time efficiency: <10s)
Speedtest Ping: 169ms. Download: 2.9Mbps. Upload: 1.33Mbps.
Summary: NordVPN has a good OpenVPN GUI with manual configuration, although the app direct connection is still not available. I should also point out that there is no absolute equality in connection speed between SpeedTest and YouTube, as I’ve tested SpeedTest’s download speed at less than 1M, and YouTube’s connection speed may reach more than 5Kpbs. So the test here can only be used as a reference.
Windows10 NordVPN OpenVPN-Gui Version: 220.127.116.11
Today’s Test Score: ★ ★ ★ ★