Yesterday and today, reader @JasperXu @Addy left a message saying that NordVPN is having problems connecting in China again, the international version is definitely not connecting, but the China-specific version and OpenVPN GUi cannot connect even with manual configuration. After receiving the message I took the time to test it this afternoon. Since the China-specific version of NordVPN is currently only available for Windows and Android, and I don’t have an Android machine in my hands, I couldn’t do a real test. In addition, regarding the manual configuration of OpenVPN GUi, whether it can connect successfully or not mainly depends on whether its servers are blocked. Before testing, I checked the latest list of servers released on the official website, and there are 12 official servers announced, and there are big differences from the previous announcement, so updating the server configuration should be the right choice.
Follow the Twitter account to be the first to get the latest VPN test notifications: 10Beasts_Barry
NordVPN’s last 6 test articles：[See More]
Checking out multiple test reports can help you understand more effectively how this VPN works in the long run.
- NordVPN Window10 China’s App Test in China - April 5, 2021 VPN test report, it has been several days without testing NordVPN. These two days are the Qingming Festival holiday, yesterday went to ancestor worship. Today, I was idle and relatively empty and wanted to do a test of NordVPN's Chinese version of the mainland connection in Windows 10. Since the last test, many readers have left me messages about NordVPN's China not being able to connect, or easily dropping out after connecting. After seeing these I hope that the results of the personal test will prevail, and then supplemented by readers' comments, so that we can have…
- NordVPN Windows10 Test in China – Revived - March 28, 2021 VPN test report, on the 26th of NordVPN's Windows China version of the test, the results show a full extinction. Yesterday I took the time to connect in Windows 10 and successfully connected to "UK - #4308", and today I turned on my computer over the weekend [VPN micro test] and successfully connected to "UK - #4316". I saw such a situation, I still can't resist testing, perhaps NordVPN's Chinese version has shown signs of resurrection. Perhaps some readers reading my test report will be puzzled, a good connection, and then can not be connected. But I…
- NordVPN Windows10 China’s App test in China - March 26, 2021, there are a number of days no test NordVPN, because the current way to test the connection of each VPN in mainland China, and sometimes apply a VPN has some unexpected circumstances, such as updated new protocols, version updates, etc., all there will be a round has not finished, you need to test the previously tested VPN again. But you can rest assured that I will generally use each VPN every 1-2 days myself, once there are major changes I will arrange to test, if not then the biggest possibility is that its situation remains the same.
- NordVPN Windows10 China’s App Test in China - March 16, 2021, in NordVPN China version of the App during the two sessions encountered a lot of trouble, but according to yesterday and today in the [micro test] of its single-server sampling test found that it seems to have recovered, but the specific recovery to what extent, is not clear. So today I want to test the Chinese version of NordVPN again to see how far it has recovered. I hope this test will provide some reference for NordVPN users. If there are any questions or if you are using it in a way that is inconsistent with the…
- NPC six Day NordVPN Windows China’s App already dead - March 10, 2021, today is the sixth day of the two sessions in China, and the whole session will be over in half a day tomorrow. Today I will continue testing NordVPN China for Windows on the mainland. I wonder if the firewall blockade will be tightened up as the conference draws to a close! All my tests are listed according to the real situation of the test, because currently NordVPN uses a similar "black box + thousands of people" way of server matching, all different users may connect to different servers in the process of use. But in any…
- NPC five day, are you ok? NordVPN Window test in China！ - Today, March 9, 2021, I wanted to test NordVPN's connectivity in Windows again. The results of the previous tests showed that NordVPN was strongly sniped by the firewall upgrade during the two sessions, but at least a few servers could still connect successfully. Seeing the results of that test, I'm worried that the situation will further deteriorate, currently NordVPN in Windows provides only "NordVPN China APP" a solution, the official has canceled the previous OpenVPN-Gui configuration solution (no configurable The official OpenVPN-Gui configuration solution has been cancelled (no configurable server information is provided).
NordVPN China’s APP Test in China
Starting Time: Feb 2, 2021, 1:32 PM
Local Device and Network: Windows10/200M China Telecom/WiFi;
Quick Connect (1) – UK #4185: First success; (Time efficiency: 5s)
Speedtest Ping: 232ms. Download: 18.56Mbps. Upload: 0.42Mbps.
Youtube Connection Speed: 421Kbps;
Quick Connect (2) – Japan #2174: First success; (Time efficiency: 3s)
Speedtest Ping: 64ms. Download: 70.38Mbps. Upload: 1.99Mbps.
Youtube Connection Speed: 7480Kbps;
Quick Connect (3) – Canada #3219: First success; (Time efficiency: 6s)
Speedtest Ping: 241ms. Download: 0.45Mbps. Upload: 0.86Mbps.
Youtube Connection Speed: 4000-8000Kbps; (Server speed is not very stable)
Quick Connect (4) – UK #4185: First success; (Duplicate servers are not tested)
Quick Connect (5) – Canadda #3219: First success; (Duplicate servers are not tested)
Quick Connect (6) – Japan #2174: First success; (Duplicate servers are not tested)
Quick Connect (7) – Japan #2174: First success; (Duplicate servers are not tested)
After that, I tested the connection 7-8 times by clicking “Quick connect” in the app, and all of them were connected to these three servers. I was surprised that there was no connection to the US server. I will test the servers in the US, Singapore and other regions to see how the situation is. Connection method: Double click + double click USA regional server, specific server APP automatically select.
United States (1) – USA #8239: Failed; (Long-time connection status)
United States (2) – USA #8239: Failed; (Long-time connection status)
United States (3) – USA #8239: Failed; (Long-time connection status)
Taiwan (1) – Taiwan #129: Failed; (Long-time connection status)
South Korea (1) – South Korea #45: Failed; (shows a successful, but network is not available)
Singapore (1) – Singapore #466: Failed; (Long-time connection status)
After the above test, I switched the protocol to Nordlynx in NordVPN and then connected directly to a server in a region via “Quick Connect”. The test result is the same as when the automatic protocol is used. Thus, I can tell that when using the automatic protocol to connect, it is actually automatically selected Nordlynx as the connection protocol.
NordVPN OpenVPN GUI Test in China
I first tested the OpenVPN GUI before adding it, and indeed all the servers were not connected. So I downloaded the latest OpenVPN GUi from the official website, and when I downloaded it, I found that among the 12 servers provided by the official website, USA #7226 and USA #7227 have the same download address, and they are both downloaded from #7227, which should be caused by the staff’s mistake. So there are actually only 11 servers.
CA3146: Failed; (Try once)
JP2117: Failed; (Try once)
JP2208: Failed; (Try once)
JP2209: Failed; (Try once)
SG2099: Failed; (Try once)
SG2100: Failed; (Try once)
UK4215: Failed; (Try once)
UK4217: Failed; (Try once)
US7227: Failed; (Try once)
US7228: Failed; (Try once)
US7231: Failed; (Try once)
The above is the latest OpenVPN GUi configuration servers officially announced by NordVPN, but all 11 servers cannot be connected. It seems that for the time being, you can only connect to the 3 servers that you can connect to through the China-specific version of the app in Windows. I hope NordVPN official will fix and announce the new configuration servers as soon as possible.
Today’s Test Score：★ ★ ☆