Yesterday a reader of this site @Lin, found and left a comment informing NordVPN of the release of a Windows version specifically for China VPN connections. Barry then confirmed the situation: only Windows and Android versions have been released so far, Macbook and IOS have not yet been released. Today’s test is a server connection and post-connection speed test for the Windows China-specific version of the APP, along with an installation tutorial. If you need to download it, you can check this article “NordVPN can’t connect solution zh”, I have put together the download address here.
Follow the Twitter account to be the first to get the latest VPN test notifications: 10Beasts_Barry
NordVPN’s last 6 test articles：[See More]
Checking out multiple test reports can help you understand more effectively how this VPN works in the long run.
- NordVPN Window10 China’s App Test in China - April 5, 2021 VPN test report, it has been several days without testing NordVPN. These two days are the Qingming Festival holiday, yesterday went to ancestor worship. Today, I was idle and relatively empty and wanted to do a test of NordVPN's Chinese version of the mainland connection in Windows 10. Since the last test, many readers have left me messages about NordVPN's China not being able to connect, or easily dropping out after connecting. After seeing these I hope that the results of the personal test will prevail, and then supplemented by readers' comments, so that we can have a more comprehensive understanding of its use.
- NordVPN Windows10 Test in China – Revived - March 28, 2021 VPN test report, on the 26th of NordVPN's Windows China version of the test, the results show a full extinction. Yesterday I took the time to connect in Windows 10 and successfully connected to "UK - #4308", and today I turned on my computer over the weekend [VPN micro test] and successfully connected to "UK - #4316". I saw such a situation, I still can't resist testing, perhaps NordVPN's Chinese version has shown signs of resurrection. Perhaps some readers reading my test report will be puzzled, a good connection, and then can not be connected. But I tell you this is the actual situation of users in mainland China, always hovering between stability and instability, sometimes need to use some specific techniques to connect. And that's why I need to keep testing.
- NordVPN Windows10 China’s App test in China - March 26, 2021, there are a number of days no test NordVPN, because the current way to test the connection of each VPN in mainland China, and sometimes apply a VPN has some unexpected circumstances, such as updated new protocols, version updates, etc., all there will be a round has not finished, you need to test the previously tested VPN again. But you can rest assured that I will generally use each VPN every 1-2 days myself, once there are major changes I will arrange to test, if not then the biggest possibility is that its situation remains the same.
- NordVPN Windows10 China’s App Test in China - March 16, 2021, in NordVPN China version of the App during the two sessions encountered a lot of trouble, but according to yesterday and today in the [micro test] of its single-server sampling test found that it seems to have recovered, but the specific recovery to what extent, is not clear. So today I want to test the Chinese version of NordVPN again to see how far it has recovered. I hope this test will provide some reference for NordVPN users. If there are any questions or if you are using it in a way that is inconsistent with the test results, I hope you can leave a comment to share.
- NPC six Day NordVPN Windows China’s App already dead - March 10, 2021, today is the sixth day of the two sessions in China, and the whole session will be over in half a day tomorrow. Today I will continue testing NordVPN China for Windows on the mainland. I wonder if the firewall blockade will be tightened up as the conference draws to a close! All my tests are listed according to the real situation of the test, because currently NordVPN uses a similar "black box + thousands of people" way of server matching, all different users may connect to different servers in the process of use. But in any case, I just want to tell you the real test situation so that you can use it as a reference!
- NPC five day, are you ok? NordVPN Window test in China！ - Today, March 9, 2021, I wanted to test NordVPN's connectivity in Windows again. The results of the previous tests showed that NordVPN was strongly sniped by the firewall upgrade during the two sessions, but at least a few servers could still connect successfully. Seeing the results of that test, I'm worried that the situation will further deteriorate, currently NordVPN in Windows provides only "NordVPN China APP" a solution, the official has canceled the previous OpenVPN-Gui configuration solution (no configurable The official OpenVPN-Gui configuration solution has been cancelled (no configurable server information is provided).
Today’s content is divided into two parts, one is the installation process, the second part is the connection and speed test;
NordVPN China-specific version of the app: Windows10:
Step 1: first you need to download the version of the application to the local device Windows.
Download(Official) Version: 126.96.36.199;
Step 2: Since a large portion of the users who will install this version must be regular NordVPN users, there is a high probability that the international version of the NordVPN app is already installed on your device. During the testing process I first tried to install the “Restricted Region App” without uninstalling the international version of the app, then you will encounter the problem shown below during the installation process.
As shown in the figure above, its prompts “The following applications are using files that need to be updated by setup. it is recommended that you allow setup to automatically close these applications. After the installation has completed, setup will attempt to restart the applications.“。To do this you can open the Windows “Task Manager”, find it in the “Processes” tab, then right click on it and click “End Task”. After this step, the situation shown above will not occur during the installation process.
After the installation is complete, the NordVPN application will be launched directly, the first thing after the launch, you need to confirm whether the version installed is correct, the version I installed in this test is 188.8.131.52, if you find that the version number is not correct. That is most likely, the NordVPN you opened is still the international version of the app.
I suggest the most direct and effective way to install: before installing the “Restricted Region App”, go to “Uninstall or Change Programs” in Windows and uninstall the original country version of the application, then install the latest Then install the latest “Restricted Region App”. You can be sure that the international version of the app will not be available in China in the short term anyway.
When you have properly installed and opened the “Restricted Area App”, you will see the login screen as shown below. There is a message in white letters on a yellow background “you are using a test version of nordVPN If you no longer can connect to vpn, please switch to the official nordvpn version.“Don’t worry about it, login to your email account and password, test and find that login account and password can be done without going over the wall.
After logging in, a prompt screen will pop up as shown below, with the prompt content “Introducing Cyber Sec! From new on, NordVPN gives comprehensive protection from intrusive ads, malware, Phishing attempts and other threats“, Just click on “Turn Cybersec on”.
Finally, as you can see on the left in the picture below, you can see the “Restricted Region App” Windows version, and on the right in the picture below, you can confirm the version number in the settings. That’s all installed and you can connect directly without any settings. Note: I don’t see the protocol setting option in this version, there is an “Obfuscated Servers (OpenVPN)” option in the “Settings–Advanced” tab. option is off by default. Here we go to the server connection and speed test.
NordVPN China-specific version of the app Test:
Starting Time: Jan 14, 2021, 12:50 PM
Local device and network: Windows10/200M China Telecom/WiFi;
NordVPN Version: China-specific App 184.108.40.206
Quick Connect – USA #7097: First success; (Time efficiency: 25s)
Speedtest Ping: 183ms. Download: 118.49Mbps. Upload: 1.79Mbps.
Youtube Connection Speed: 15476Kbps;
Note: I connected to this server successfully from around 10am and then turned on YouTube videos. I have been connected for about 3 hours now and have not experienced any dropouts, and the YouTube speed has remained above 15000+.
Quick Connect – Taiwan #98: Failed; (Can’t connect of long time)
Quick Connect – United States #7238: First success; (Time efficiency: 12s / Duplicate servers are not tested)
Quick Connect – United Kingdom #4222: First success; (Time efficiency: 15s)
Speedtest Ping: 233ms. Download: 14.48Mbps. Upload: 1.48Mbps.
Youtube Connection Speed: 7899Kbps;
The above test is a direct connection test through the “Quick Connect” button of the APP, a total of 7 connection tests. The following tests will be conducted directly through the name of the region on the left side of the APP to test the server connection success rate and speed. The test server is randomly selected. The way to select the region directly is to double-click the region name twice (double-click first to see if the server it connects to is in the region you selected, if not, double-click again on the region name). The difference between these two connection methods is that the “Quick Connect” connection is a bit like NordVPN recommending which servers you should use, while connecting directly by clicking on the region name is like forcing a server in a region to try to connect. If you don’t need a specific region IP, it is recommended to use “Quick Connect” to connect.
Canada – Canada #1205: Failed; (Can’t connect of long time)
Argentina – Argentina #42: Failed; (Can’t connect of long time)
Czech Republic – Czech Republic #94: Failed; (Can’t connect of long time)
France – France #669: Failed; (Can’t connect of long time)
Germany – Germany #936: Failed; (Show failed)
Hong Kong – Hong Kong #255: Failed; (Can’t connect of long time)
Japan – Japan #528: Failed; (Can’t connect of long time)
Malaysia – Malaysia #28: Failed; (Can’t connect of long time)
Singapore – Singapore #2155: First success; (Time efficiency: 15s / Duplicate servers are not tested)
Singapore – Singapore #498: Failed; (Can’t connect of long time)
South Korea – South Korea #38: Failed; (Can’t connect of long time)
Taiwan – Taiwan #155: Failed; (Can’t connect of long time)
Thailand – Thailand #17: Failed; (Can’t connect of long time)
United Kingdom – United Kingdom #4151: success; (Time efficiency: 12s / Duplicate servers are not tested)
United Kingdom – United Kingdom #4222: success; (Time efficiency: 20s / Duplicate servers are not tested)
After that I connected to the United Kingdom area 7 times, but all of them were connected to the two servers #4151 and #4222.
United States – United States #7097: success; (Time efficiency: 20s / Duplicate servers are not tested)
United States – United States #7238: success; (Time efficiency: 15s / Duplicate servers are not tested)
After that I connected to the United States area 9 times, but all of them were connected to the two servers #7097 and #7238.
Summary: According to the above test results of “Restricted Region App” in Windows 10, we can roughly determine that the application can help users in mainland China to connect to 5 servers, namely Singapore #2155, United Kingdom #4151, United Kingdom #4222, United States #7097, United States #7238. #It is still the test version of the “Restricted Region App”, which is a great relief. I hope NordVPN team will keep up the good work and provide a long and stable service with good speed to Chinese users. I have been watching and testing this special version.
At the same time, because I do not have an Android device in my hand, so I can not test the device, I hope that the relevant readers see this test report, can provide some information about the use of Android, Android version download I have organized to this article “NordVPN can not connect to the solution (zh)”, is a direct download apk file to install.
Other device connection guide:
NrodVPN Windows Manual connect guide and servers download (zh)
NordVPN Mac manual connect guide and servers download (zh)
NordVPN IOS manual IKEv2 connect guide and servers download (zh)
NordVPN Android manual connect guide and servers download (zh)
Windows10 NordVPN China-specific App Version: 220.127.116.11
Today’s Test Score: ★ ★ ★ ★