March 22, 2021 – Currently, in the latest ExpressVPN version 10.1.0(11) for Windows, the protocol options supported for connectivity are Automatic, Lightway-UDP, OpenVPN-UDP, OpenVPN-TCP, IKEv2, and L2TP/IPsec, of which L2TP/IPsec has a low security protocol and not many supported servers, so it will not be used to connect in non-essential situations. In this test, I will compare the speed of the first five protocols with the same servers in Windows 10 platform, hoping to find out the fastest connection protocol in mainland China, and test the connection of OpenVPN-UDP and OpenVPN-TCP by the way, because Automatic, Lightway-UDP, and IKEv2 are the three protocols I want to test. I often test these three protocols and know more about their connections. The test servers will be selected from the six officially recommended servers as the main body of the test.
This is the first time I’ve tried this “same server/different protocol” comparison test, and I hope it will help you understand the use of ExpressVPN in depth!
The daily speed test will help you understand the following three points:
1. the server connection success rate of the VPN in the device under test.
2. the server connection time of the VPN in the tested device.
3. the speed of the VPN after a successful connection to the server in the device under test.
Follow the Twitter account to get the latest VPN test notification first: 10Beasts_Barry
ExpressVPN last 6 test reports: [See More]
Checking out multiple test reports can help you understand more effectively how this VPN works in the long run. This site has opened a new [Micro test] column, which is a way to test “single device + single protocol + single server” through “fragmented” free time.
- ExpressVPN Android Test in China Report – 20220524 - May 24, 2022 China VPN test, since the test report on the 10th of this month has been 14 days without ExpressVPN test. During that time Macbook, iPhon…
- ExpressVPN Windows test in China-20220510 - May 10, 2022 China VPN test, today will be a massive server spot check test of ExpressVPN's Automatic protocol option in Windows devices, the complete…
- ExpressVPN Win/Mac/iOS Test in China/20220421 - China VPN test on April 21, 2022. A field test of ExpressVPN for mainland China will be conducted today in Windows, Macbook, and iOS (iPhone). The tes…
- Best 4 VPN in China, OMG, Just only one！ - On March 21, 2022, China VPN test will be conducted on a Windows 10 device today. The test VPNs include ExpressVPN, PureVPN, StrongVPN, and AtlasVPN. …
- Windows11 ExpressVPN Test in China at two sessions night - March 5, 2022. It is the first day of China's "Fifth Session of the Thirteenth National People's Congress", and this time of year is China's VPN block…
- Today 1:00 PM, ExpressVPN has difficulty connecting in China - February 21, 2022 China VPN connection test, as just the beginning of the year themselves have a lot of work at hand need to do, so this site's test i…
Starting Time: Mar 22, 2021, 1:24 PM
Local device and network: Windows10 / 300M China Telecom / WiFi;
Hong Kong- 4 Server Speed Comparison Test:
OpenVPN-TCP – Hong Kong- 4: Failed; (Try once)
Japan – Yokohama Server Speed Comparison Test:
OpenVPN-TCP – Japan – Yokohama: Failed; (Try once)
USA – Los Angeles – 5 Server Speed Comparison Test:
Lightway-UDP – USA – Los Angeles – 5: Failed; (Try once)
OpenVPN-TCP – USA – Los Angeles – 5: Failed; (Try once)
IKEv2 – USA – Los Angeles – 5: Failed; (Try once)
Singapore – Marina Bay Server Speed Comparison Test:
OpenVPN-TCP – Singapore – Marina Bay: Failed; (Try once)
UK – Wembley Server Speed Comparison Test:
OpenVPN-TCP – UK – Wembley: Failed; (Try once)
USA – Santa Monica Server Speed Comparison Test:
Auto – USA – Santa Monica: Failed; (Try once)
OpenVPN-UDP – USA – Santa Monica: Failed; (Try once)
OpenVPN-TCP – USA – Santa Monica: Failed; (Try once)
Summary: The above is a test of ExpressVPN’s 5 protocol options, Automatic, Lightway-UDP, OpenVPN-UDP, OpenVPN-TCP, and IKEv2, on a Windows 10 device. From the test results, the four protocol options that ExpressVPN can connect to are Automatic, Lightway-UDP, OpenVPN-UDP, and IKEv2. From the test results of “USA – Santa Monica”, we can understand that although “Automatic” is an automatic protocol selection option, it does not necessarily mean that it will try all protocols in a limited time. There are also differences in the protocols that different servers can connect to successfully. Please watch the above test protocols and server selection carefully, it will help you in your daily use of ExpressVPN.
Windows10 ExpressVPN Version: 10.1.0(11)
Today’s Test Score: ★ ★ ★ ★