March 22, 2021 – Currently, in the latest ExpressVPN version 10.1.0(11) for Windows, the protocol options supported for connectivity are Automatic, Lightway-UDP, OpenVPN-UDP, OpenVPN-TCP, IKEv2, and L2TP/IPsec, of which L2TP/IPsec has a low security protocol and not many supported servers, so it will not be used to connect in non-essential situations. In this test, I will compare the speed of the first five protocols with the same servers in Windows 10 platform, hoping to find out the fastest connection protocol in mainland China, and test the connection of OpenVPN-UDP and OpenVPN-TCP by the way, because Automatic, Lightway-UDP, and IKEv2 are the three protocols I want to test. I often test these three protocols and know more about their connections. The test servers will be selected from the six officially recommended servers as the main body of the test.
This is the first time I’ve tried this “same server/different protocol” comparison test, and I hope it will help you understand the use of ExpressVPN in depth!
The daily speed test will help you understand the following three points:
1. the server connection success rate of the VPN in the device under test.
2. the server connection time of the VPN in the tested device.
3. the speed of the VPN after a successful connection to the server in the device under test.
Follow the Twitter account to get the latest VPN test notification first: 10Beasts_Barry
ExpressVPN last 6 test reports: [See More]
Checking out multiple test reports can help you understand more effectively how this VPN works in the long run. This site has opened a new [Micro test] column, which is a way to test “single device + single protocol + single server” through “fragmented” free time.
- ExpressVPN Win10/MacOS/iOS Test in China - January 10, 2022 China VPN Test, the official recommended China connection method for ExpressVPN will be tested today in three devices, Windows 10, MacOS, and iOS/iPhone. Regular testing is the most practical and effective, if rather tedious, solution to understanding any VPN in China. Prior to this test, the App version of ExpressVPN was checked on each device to ensure that the test was the latest version, the connection protocol was the "Automatic" option, and the speed was tested with SpeedTest and Youtube Connection Speed. Speed Test and Youtube Connection Speed. Readers can leave comments (anonymously) if they have questions while reading the report.
- ExpressVPN Macbook Test in China – Videos - January 4, 2022 China VPN test, today we will test the connection and speed of ExpressVPN's Automatic protocol option in Macbook devices in mainland China and record it in video mode. The servers for the test are firstly the 6 officially recommended servers, then we will select the servers in the "Recommended" list of the app for connection test, and finally we will randomly check some servers in the "All" server list for connection test. Finally, we will randomly check some servers in the "All" server list for connection test, and the test will mainly be conducted on servers in the U.S. region, supplemented by servers in other regions. The speed test will be conducted using the SpeedTest tool...
- ExpressVPN Win / Mac / IOS last test in China - December 27, 2021 China VPN Test, a connection and speed test of the official recommended servers for ExpressVPN's Automatic protocol option in Windows, Macbook, and iPhone devices will be conducted in mainland China today. This test is already the 237th test report issued by this site for this VPN, and the whole cycle of observation and testing has been around for almost 3 years. I hope to provide readers with the most realistic and effective picture of the actual connectivity of this VPN, i.e. other VPNs, in mainland China through this regular spot check of actual tests.
- Best VPN for the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, China - The IOC told the Voice of America via email that, China has granted foreign athletes and accredited foreign media participating in the Beijing Winter Olympics access to "open internet services" at the athletes' village, competition-related venues, and contracted media hotels. You can connect and use networks and social platforms (Google, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Signal, etc.) in China that are blocked by the Great Firewall of the Internet.
- ExpressVPN Connection tested 3 device in China - December 21, 2021 China VPN test, last night around 10:00 pm when I was using the IOS version of ExpressVPN myself using the official recommended method "Auto + 6 servers" when there is no connection. I tried WiFi (telecom) and 4G (telecom) without success. Today, I came to the office hoping to do a mapping test on three devices - Macbook, Windows, and iPhone - to see if ExpressVPN is currently having trouble connecting or connecting in China.
- ExpressVPN Win10 / Mac BBC iPlayer Test in China - December 9, 2021 China VPN test, today will be in Windows, Macbook two devices to test the official recommended connection method of ExpressVPN (Auto protocol option + 6 servers), if time is more generous in the case may be additional random sampling of the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada's servers. The post-connection speed test mainly uses "YouTube connection speed" and "SpeedTest" to test the speed of each server from connection to disconnection of the entire test time is usually between 2-5 minutes. BBC iPlayer will also be added to the test when encountering the UK server. If you have any questions, you can leave a message (anonymous) to communicate. This test is the 235th test report for ExpressVPN China.
Starting Time: Mar 22, 2021, 1:24 PM
Local device and network: Windows10 / 300M China Telecom / WiFi;
Hong Kong- 4 Server Speed Comparison Test:
OpenVPN-TCP – Hong Kong- 4: Failed; (Try once)
Japan – Yokohama Server Speed Comparison Test:
OpenVPN-TCP – Japan – Yokohama: Failed; (Try once)
USA – Los Angeles – 5 Server Speed Comparison Test:
Lightway-UDP – USA – Los Angeles – 5: Failed; (Try once)
OpenVPN-TCP – USA – Los Angeles – 5: Failed; (Try once)
IKEv2 – USA – Los Angeles – 5: Failed; (Try once)
Singapore – Marina Bay Server Speed Comparison Test:
OpenVPN-TCP – Singapore – Marina Bay: Failed; (Try once)
UK – Wembley Server Speed Comparison Test:
OpenVPN-TCP – UK – Wembley: Failed; (Try once)
USA – Santa Monica Server Speed Comparison Test:
Auto – USA – Santa Monica: Failed; (Try once)
OpenVPN-UDP – USA – Santa Monica: Failed; (Try once)
OpenVPN-TCP – USA – Santa Monica: Failed; (Try once)
Summary: The above is a test of ExpressVPN’s 5 protocol options, Automatic, Lightway-UDP, OpenVPN-UDP, OpenVPN-TCP, and IKEv2, on a Windows 10 device. From the test results, the four protocol options that ExpressVPN can connect to are Automatic, Lightway-UDP, OpenVPN-UDP, and IKEv2. From the test results of “USA – Santa Monica”, we can understand that although “Automatic” is an automatic protocol selection option, it does not necessarily mean that it will try all protocols in a limited time. There are also differences in the protocols that different servers can connect to successfully. Please watch the above test protocols and server selection carefully, it will help you in your daily use of ExpressVPN.
Windows10 ExpressVPN Version: 10.1.0(11)
Today’s Test Score: ★ ★ ★ ★