March 22, 2021 – Currently, in the latest ExpressVPN version 10.1.0(11) for Windows, the protocol options supported for connectivity are Automatic, Lightway-UDP, OpenVPN-UDP, OpenVPN-TCP, IKEv2, and L2TP/IPsec, of which L2TP/IPsec has a low security protocol and not many supported servers, so it will not be used to connect in non-essential situations. In this test, I will compare the speed of the first five protocols with the same servers in Windows 10 platform, hoping to find out the fastest connection protocol in mainland China, and test the connection of OpenVPN-UDP and OpenVPN-TCP by the way, because Automatic, Lightway-UDP, and IKEv2 are the three protocols I want to test. I often test these three protocols and know more about their connections. The test servers will be selected from the six officially recommended servers as the main body of the test.
This is the first time I’ve tried this “same server/different protocol” comparison test, and I hope it will help you understand the use of ExpressVPN in depth!
The daily speed test will help you understand the following three points:
1. the server connection success rate of the VPN in the device under test.
2. the server connection time of the VPN in the tested device.
3. the speed of the VPN after a successful connection to the server in the device under test.
Follow the Twitter account to get the latest VPN test notification first: 10Beasts_Barry
ExpressVPN last 6 test reports: [See More]
Checking out multiple test reports can help you understand more effectively how this VPN works in the long run. This site has opened a new [Micro test] column, which is a way to test “single device + single protocol + single server” through “fragmented” free time.
- ExpressVPN Ligntway-UDP Connect Failed in China - July 28, 2021 China VPN test, at around 10pm last night when I connected to ExpressVPN's Lightway-UDP via Telecom 4G and WiFi, I found that my most co…
- ExpressVPN MacOS test in China-2021/7/21 - The July 21, 2021 China VPN test will be conducted today on ExpressVP in a MacBook (MacOS), 2 weeks after the last Mac test. In that test on July 5, i…
- ExpressVPN MacOS July Network Blocking Test - July 5, 2021 China VPN MacOS test, a previous test of Automatic, Lightway-udp, IKEv2 in Windows, this time will be a test of ExpressVPN in Macbook's M…
- ExpressVPN Win10 Test in China 100th birthday - July 2, 2021 China VPN Test: It has been many days since I updated the VPN [Daily Speed Test] section, as I was hospitalized for over a week for healt…
- ExpressVPN IOS Lightway test in China-2021/6/8 - June 8, 2021 VPN China test, EpressVPN in the latest IOS version 11.5.0 (21189) officially added Lightway protocol, which is subdivided into Lightway-…
- ExpressVPN 3 Device Test in China-2021/6/4 - June 4, 2021 VPN test in China report, today I will be testing ExpressVPN's officially recommended "Automatic + 6 servers" VPN on Windows, Mac and iPh…
Starting Time: Mar 22, 2021, 1:24 PM
Local device and network: Windows10 / 300M China Telecom / WiFi;
Hong Kong- 4 Server Speed Comparison Test:
OpenVPN-TCP – Hong Kong- 4: Failed; (Try once)
Japan – Yokohama Server Speed Comparison Test:
OpenVPN-TCP – Japan – Yokohama: Failed; (Try once)
USA – Los Angeles – 5 Server Speed Comparison Test:
Lightway-UDP – USA – Los Angeles – 5: Failed; (Try once)
OpenVPN-TCP – USA – Los Angeles – 5: Failed; (Try once)
IKEv2 – USA – Los Angeles – 5: Failed; (Try once)
Singapore – Marina Bay Server Speed Comparison Test:
OpenVPN-TCP – Singapore – Marina Bay: Failed; (Try once)
UK – Wembley Server Speed Comparison Test:
OpenVPN-TCP – UK – Wembley: Failed; (Try once)
USA – Santa Monica Server Speed Comparison Test:
Auto – USA – Santa Monica: Failed; (Try once)
OpenVPN-UDP – USA – Santa Monica: Failed; (Try once)
OpenVPN-TCP – USA – Santa Monica: Failed; (Try once)
Summary: The above is a test of ExpressVPN’s 5 protocol options, Automatic, Lightway-UDP, OpenVPN-UDP, OpenVPN-TCP, and IKEv2, on a Windows 10 device. From the test results, the four protocol options that ExpressVPN can connect to are Automatic, Lightway-UDP, OpenVPN-UDP, and IKEv2. From the test results of “USA – Santa Monica”, we can understand that although “Automatic” is an automatic protocol selection option, it does not necessarily mean that it will try all protocols in a limited time. There are also differences in the protocols that different servers can connect to successfully. Please watch the above test protocols and server selection carefully, it will help you in your daily use of ExpressVPN.
Windows10 ExpressVPN Version: 10.1.0(11)
Today’s Test Score: ★ ★ ★ ★